Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It is now over... A short story

       My name? I have none. Then again who does have a name these days. People are only identified in this world by what they own. Where is it that I live? It is the mold on a half eaten cheeseburger at the bottom of a dumpster somewhere in an insignificant cosmic back alley. Now how important do you really think it is if you wear your white striped socks or your black ones.

       The weather here is bleak. The weather in the mind of someone who suffers from constant boredom is always bleak. I am bored with the sheer boringness of life. Life is just a giant stopwatch but instead of counting up, its counting down. Thats why I cant seem to understand why people get hung up on the most pointless details. If you die old and rich or you die young and a bum, do you really think all the worms and decomposing bacteria will care if theyre eating the flesh of a rich person or the flesh of a pauper?

       What tortures me is that I wish I never started to see thing the way that I do. Everyone else just seems oblivious to the truth. People just stumble through life with their eyes closed, bumping into things. I feel that I am walking through with open eyes, I still bump into stuff but I can truly see what it is. Its not that I know everything, its just that I see the insignificance of 99.9% of our everyday lives. The major conflict in my life is that everyone else seems to have no idea whats going on.

       There is not even really a good reason for me to be alive. Not through my life or death am I going to change the way the world is. Its going to keep getting worse because theres a negative trend and its not getting fixed. Even if I died right now I would probably not even get the privilege of being a statistic. Yet I tire of this pointless, soon to be forgotten life. I want to do something big before I die. I want to show how an insignificant act by an individual can still change more than a few lives.

       I hail the cab and he pulls over. I dont want to go anywhere in particular, so I tell him one block away. We arrive and I open the door. He asks for the fare and I answer him by placing the barrel of my sawed off next to his face and painting the interior with his brains. I step out of the car and start walking home. Someone looks at me dripping blood. They suffer the same fate as the cabbie. 2 murders now. Double homicide should be on the news for a day or so, relatively minor. I see a car driving down the street. I run in front and wave my arms. They stop and I jump on the hood and shoot both the driver and passenger through the windshield. My count is up to 4. Thats pretty low considering theres 2 billion people in the world.

         I am back at my home and debating what to do next. I did alright for a desperate act. Those 4 people just died for nothing yet nothing is going to change. Just being in this world makes me sick. I am in the kitchen eyeing up the cutlery. I grab a large blade and use it to escape. Slice. Slice. Slice. Red. I sit back and for the first time ever really know what it is like to know that it will finally end.
It is now over
The white light embraces me
I have reached content

3 comments: